Viewing Assisted Suicide from the Death Bed

With assisted suicide in the news lately and this being the anniversary of my mother's death a year ago from brain cancer, I have been thinking. I understand people wanting to not suffer, not wanting to have those they love watch them suffer, not wanting to be unable to care for themselves. I get it.

As a Christian though, we are not called to comfortable or an easy life. We are called to glorify God. My mother's suffering was beautiful in its own way. Do I wish she or us went through it .... no, but it was beautiful none the less. We only had a short time of suffering and I can understand those that would struggle month in and month out would get tired, but we have Christ and His strength. When my mom couldn't remember the day or where she was, she remembered everything was to the glory of God. When her body failed with seizure after seizure and stroke after stroke, her spirit was soaring and showering God's faithfulness and love on all those that cared for her. In the hard moments of washing her, doing her feet, feeding her, God gave me precious memories and some laughs I will treasure always.

I pray that those considering that choice are surrounded by Christians that love them and I pray we are all a light showing there is something higher, bigger and better than the worst struggle we have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I know ......

To Behold Him

In the hands of a Hero